When selecting colors for your home's interior consider the following tips. However, always remember that the final decision should be the one that you like best.
- Find a dominant color that you like or wish to keep in the room. This could be the color of the sofa, flooring, or window coverings.
- Determine the feeling you wish to have in the room. Warm colors such as red, orange, yellow, or beige can create an invigorating mood or add cozy intimacy to large spaces.
- Consider how simple or complex you want your color scheme to be. Simple schemes appear more serene, whereas more complex schemes are more dramatic and energizing.
- Select the colors when you are actually in the room in which they will be used. Environment, time of day, and the lighting (both natural and artificial) will dramatically affect the appearance of the color.
- Use accent or contrasting colors to bring focus to architectural details. This can help to accentuate your home's unique features such as a fireplace mantle or chair rail.
- Take note of the effects of light and dark colors. Light colors visually bring objects forward, while darker colors cause objects to visually recede.
- Painting the walls and ceilings the same color can visually increase the size of the room. When the eye sees no boundary, it perceives a larger space.